Saturday, July 16, 2011

Bobbin Lace Butterfly

Since learning to tat, I haven't done any bobbin lace, so I decided to start a project. I'm to the 2nd large filling now, but I broke threads on 2 bobbins! So, it's retrolacing to uncover enough of the broken threads to attach new ones. This is Russian tape lace done the way it's done in Vologda. It's pretty slow going, because there are many, many sewings, but it's never boring as there are plaits & picos, false plaits, leaves, and turns to keep you busy.

9 comments:

Gina said...

Beautiful! Maybe someday I'll do this too!

sewmuchfun4 said...

So pretty! Love the sheen on those threads (and the shade).
:) Ann

Carla said...

Wonderful!!!

Pene said...

And how far have you progressed with this? What sort of picots are you making - single or double thread ones?

Carla said...

Wonderful works! Your blog is very interesting!

Anonymous said...

Thanks everyone!

Pene, I finished this one & did a second one for my niece's bathroom - framed it. I did single picos.

annakatarzyna said...

Wow! Fantastic butterfly!

Sian said...

Can you tell me anything about recoving from a broken thread please? I've just broken a thread on my Torchon handkerchief edging. Do I try to knot the thread togather again? Or leave the broken end where it is and join a new thread and bobbin from a bit higher up?
Arggggg..!

Sian

Madtatter80 said...

Nice color I love all kinds of lace and would love to have a visit from you to my blog called"Carollyn's Tatting Blog" Stop by is you can spare the time!

Post a Comment