Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Tatting Tea Tuesday

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! I'm enjoying a cup of my favorite tea. I still had some left from my trip to Seattle. It's a spicey tea that tastes like cinnamon candy.

Here's what I'm working on today. It's the little tatting tote by Sharon Albers. I'm using Lizbeth size 20 in a variagated color for the rings & a solid for the chains. I'll be working on this for a while-it's slow going. I wish I'd added some picos to the rings, but I'll do that on the last round & on the handle. I've been using my Laci's shuttle which holds way more thread than a Clover. Everytime I hide ends, I'm kicking myself for not taking the time to learn what I need to to jump out from one round to the other. I've learned split rings, now I just need to try split chains (which don't look very difficult) & mock picos. Why do I hedge on this? (shaking head)


Isdihara said...

Everything in good time! No worries! Learning new techniques requires a certain frame of mind and you will know when the time is right.

Perhaps while you are "hedging" you should tat a hedgehog? *chuckles* It could make for a darling, wee distraction.

Thanks for joining in Tatting Tea Tuesday! Your tatting looks splendid and I will enjoy watching it progress!

Katie said...

Thanks so much for the encouragement! LOL! I like the hedgehog idea - too cute!

sewmuchfun4 said...

I have the variegated thread you are using - LOVE the blue you paired it with! It will be a very pretty bag!

I think Isdihara is right, you just have to be in the right frame of mind and have the opportunity to try a new technique. I carry a practice shuttle and instructions around with me to fiddle with if the stars suddenly align themselves. I'm trying to break through the small motif barrier and try a bigger project. I just don't feel reliable enough with a shuttle to make the commitment...

:) Ann

Katie said...

Hi Ann & thanks!

The collar I did was a big project for me. I just worked it a motif at a time. I figured it would take almost a month if I did 1 motif a day, but I ended up doing more than 1 a day, so I finished it within 2 weeks. I surprised myself!

I was very tired of working on it near the end, but it was much easier just having the goal of 1 motif per day. Usually, I did 2 a day, but if I was having a "bad day for tatting", I'd just do the one. If I was having a "I shouldn't even bother tatting day", I would just put it down & not worry about it. That only happened a couple of times, so I was pleased on those days when I did more than 1, & gave myself a pat on the back.

If I can do it, anyone can!

Post a Comment